The new Palmer Bar at Glenlo Abbey, situated just off the Ffrench Room offers guests a quiet retreat with views overlooking the terrace and 18th Century Abbey.
The Palmer Bar is so called after the Palmer Family who purchased Glenlo in 1897.
They were wealthy land owners operating flour and maize mills in Galway city at the time. Milling in Galway city was a major industry with up to 30 mills operating by the mid-19th century - providing employment to hundreds of people. The Palmers also ran a brewery called “The Nuns’ Island Brewery”, named after its location next to the Poor Clare Convent. - And they branded their “T Palmer’s Superior Porter” as “equal to Dublin”.
Photo Courtesy: Galway Advertiser.
"In the distance you can see Palmer’s Mills. Palmers were flour millers, the bakers of the celebrated Star of the Sea bread. They also ran the Nuns Island Brewery which made T Palmer’s Superior Porter, which they advertised as being ‘equal to Dublin’. This brewery was situated near the entrance to the Poor Clares, as were stables for horses used to distribute Palmer’s products. McDonough’s Flour Mills were next to Palmers. Palmers was an extensive company which originally owned most of the left hand side of the street as we look at it.The mills of Galway suffered greatly with the arrival of the railway - which brought free trade and cheaper products from the US. The small factories could not compete with progress - and the mills were empty and quiet by the turn of the 20th century." Galway Advertiser, Thu, Mar 10, 2011